Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] Fuel Cells Yet ?

In a message dated Wed, 19 Jul 2000  1:51:21 PM Eastern Daylight Time, Ray Keefer <Ray.Keefer@west.sun.com> writes:

<< Hi Vance,

Does a fuel cell mount outside? In salt water? Under pressure?
I invisioned it had to be inside in a 1 atm environment. Am I wrong?

Regards,
Ray

> From: VBra676539@aol.com
> Date: Wed, 19 Jul 2000 13:31:11 EDT
> Subject: Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] Fuel Cells Yet ?
> To: <personal_submersibles@psubs.org>
>
> In a message dated Wed, 19 Jul 2000 12:26:19 PM Eastern Daylight Time, Ray Keefer
<Ray.Keefer@west.sun.com> writes:

> << Hi,
>
> My biggest fear of fuel cells is that both hydrogen and oxyen are used.
> Both are odorless and colorless and when combined they are explosive.
> A small leak in your hydrogen piping can lead to an explosive mixture
> with the cabin air.
>
> How would one safely handle these gasses? How does one prevent a
> dangerous buildup inside the sub?
>
> Regards,
> Ray
>
>  >>
> Ray, Ummm .... let me think. Fuel cell mounts outside the sub, gases don't leak into
crew compartment, high heat is dissipated externally, ultimate heat sink is handy for
recirc cooling? It's a trick question. Right? Vance

The Perry fuel cells used in the late 60s on Hydro-Lab and the much more current variety built for and used on the PC-14 (prior to its acquisition by the new owners, who stuck with the battery packs) utilized hard cans, like battery pods. The fuel cells were in 1 atm, but not under the seat, so to speak.
Vance