Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] Fuel Cells Yet ?

----- Original Message -----
From: Karl Fuller
To: Personal Submersibles
Sent: Tuesday, July 18, 2000 4:21 PM
Subject: [PSUBS-MAILIST] Fuel Cells Yet ?

Does anyone know if there is a practical way to use Fuel Cells yet on A PSUB. Just thought someone might be up with the play on the latest developements. I'm still planning to build a sub but would like this area soughted first as it could make a huge difference.

Regards,
Karl.

Hi Karl,

But seriously, folks:

Wasn't somebody here talking about a fuel cell under development by the Toro company (yep, the ones that make lawnmowers and such) for use in a golf cart that was supposed to be coming out this year and might be applicable to a sub?  Anybody remember what this was?

And I don't remember if I posted any info about it, but in  the recent issue of Popular Science (the one with the article about 100 years of submarines) there was another blurb about a nifty new device with possible psub applications.  It was a combination multi-fuel engine-generator and storage battery unit for forklifts; all enclosed in one case about the size of a forklift battery; designed to burn propane outside the factory to drive the motor and charge the battery; and switch over to battery to drive the forklift inside the factory.  It seemed to me it could be adapted to a sub: using the engine to power the motor while breathing ambient air on the surface (or for short terms aspirated from gaseous or cryo tank storage), and then run on the battery while submerged.  Operating on the surface would recharge the battery for dives.  Looked like it had the potential for pretty good power and endurance.  I wouldn't mind fooling around with one of these myself.

Hope this helps.

Pat