Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] Hydrogen Peroxide

----- Original Message -----
From: "D. Blake" <dblake@bright.net>
To: <personal_submersibles@psubs.org>
Sent: Friday, June 23, 2000 5:52 AM
Subject: Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] Hydrogen Peroxide

> "Hey Pat:
> Every once in a while at the clinic I work at, we find ourselves admitting
> client that is on oxygen 24/7 which is really beyond the scope of our
> facility, but because they are mentally ill we sometimes make exceptions."

Hey, big guy, I didn't know you were in medicine.  Learn something new every
day.

>" Anyway, sometimes they come in with a big ol' bottle of liquid O2
attached
> to some sort of apparatus that regulates the stuff so that it lasts for
days
> on end!"

Yeah, I'm sure it would.  I guess the difference in capacity per cubic foot
of each container would be relative to the density variable between liquid
and gas, which is (what?).  OK you chemists out there: what's the number?

"As a social work intern, I worked for short periods of time in
> nursing homes and witnessed people who were dependent on this type of
> therapy and as a consequence had survived years beyond what they normally
> would have without it."

Interesting...

> "This string has peaked my curiousity.  I think we need to investigate the
> possibilities of at least emergency O2 in the area of respiratory
therapy."

Well, it would sure last longer: which could come in handy if one were
trapped on the bottom waiting to be found and rescued, for instance.  I
think if I were going to run some kind of AIP using on-board tank-stored
oxydizer, liquid would be the way to go.  There's other possibilities,
too...

>" You know, check out the mechanics involved with such a device to see how
> difficult it would be to replicate ie. reverse engineering, or at least
the
> cost of off-the-shelf equipment.  Let me know what you think."

There was a place called AIRCO in California ten years ago that sold welding
gasses and such; they also handled liquid air, oxygen, nitrogen, and stuff
like that.  I took a quick look at what was involved; wasn't really too high
tech.  The liquid is kept in a Dewar jar (kind of a tank-in-a-tank "thermos
bottle" affair).  I think there was some kind of intermediate tank or the
like where the liquid turned to gas and from that point on it was like using
gaseous O2.  The usually expected valves, gauges, plumbing and such, of
course.

Liquid O2 does have potentials for exotic setups I think.  In my sub, even
on tanked gaseous O2 the real limiting factoid is how long I can go before
I've got to use the lavatory, or just get tired of being inside a little
metal chamber.  But in a bigger boat; or one running AIP; I can see where
liquid O2 could have advantages.

I still aint going anywhere near pure Hydrogen Peroxide, though!

VBR,

Pat Regan