Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] Any recommendations?

Hi Kraag,

See my comments below.

> Date: Thu, 08 Jun 2000 08:54:34 -0700
> From: Craig/Karyn <kraag@micron.net>
> To: Personal_Submersibles@psubs.org
> Subject: [PSUBS-MAILIST] Any recommendations?
>
> I'm an avid scuba diver and have had a lifelong fascination with
> submarines. My cousin and I were thinking very seriously of moving to
> the Carribean we love and setting up shop as divemasters. Then we found
> submarines.  This seems an even greater idea.  The idea of a 3 man sub
> for tourist rides sounds too fun and exciting. This site has been such a
> help in finding the folks who build them, but is this practical and who
> has the best?

I am not sure who is BEST. I do know that SportSubs (the three man is
ResortSub) has been around for a five or six years now.

> Caribsub looks perfect in terms of affordability.  Is it a
> good design?

I am not sure but it is certainly ambient with will limit your depth and
duration.

> We can ill afford a million dollar 60 passenger model.

60 passengers a shot help amertize the costs a bit. What you get with
these models is a shirt sleeve, 1 ATM sub with great viewing ports.

> Does
> anyone have experience in this? Who is doing this out there?  Any and
> all advice in the 3 man sub idea as a business venture would be
> appreciated. -Kraag

With the three man approach you have to be concerned with:

1. Do you supply a pilot (2 passengers) or do you let them take it out?

2. If you do supply the pilot, how many trips can he make in a day. The
passengers will only load up with nitrogen on the one trip. The pilot will
load up over several trips a day. Could lead to bends.

3. Is the pilot scuba certified?

4. Are you going to operate serveral subs? Do you have a trained pilot corps
to run the operation?

5. Insurance?

Regards,
Ray