Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] Question re: Hull Stress Spread Sheet

Since I posted that spreadsheet, I guess I should attempt this explanation.
Its one of those things that is clear in a picture but hard in words.

One of the failure modes of a strengthened cylinder is called "yielding" of
the shell. The shell tucks in evenly in between two stiffeners, all the way
around the cylinder. In "buckling" the shell also tucks in between the
stiffeners, but it does not do so evenly all around. Instead, it folds into
a series of oval-shaped areas spaced equally around its diameter between a
pair of stiffeners. The "number of circumferential lobes" is the number of
such dished-in oval shaped areas.

Now, depending on all sorts of parameters, you will find the shell buckles
at a different  number of lobes. Using the spreadsheet, I just test
different numbers of lobes and zero in on the one that produces the lowest
buckling pressure. The spreadsheet could certainly be improved by making it
calculate buckling pressures for a whole range of lobe numbers, and then
automatically adopting the lowest value.

-Alec Smyth

Hi Greg Nolan,
Above is the answer I was given some momths ago when I asked the same
questions, hope it helps.
Karl.