Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] UW-DGPS

Hi,

But I am curious. If the GPS receiver is on the surface, what good is it? Sending
the location of the receiver via acoustics to the sub does not tell the sub where
the sub is. It tell the sub where the receiver is.

Now if the sub could take a bearing off the GPS receiver acoustical transmiter and
is able to figure out the distance then you might have something. You will know the
offset from a know GPS location.

Problems.

The GPS location will be know down to how many 10's of feet? Civilian
GPS receivers are not all that accurate.

The acoustical signal from the GPS receiver's acoustical transmitter is subject
to the usual problems with sound underwater. Refraction. Stratified desenty layers....
Fortunate most PSUBS don't go so deep so these issues may not be major. They are
something to consider though.

Regards,
Ray