Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] More on inertial guidancce

I would think that it would be very easy to determine distance from the ship
mathematically. The distance from the ship at a point directly below the
ship and on the same horizontal plane as the sub could be easily determined
based on the distance from the ship to the sub (hypotenuse), and the
distance of the sub to the surface of the water (adjacent side). The sub
would then be at the opposite side distance, from the point directly under
the ship on the same horizontal plane as the sub. Acoustically, and using a
differential amp, you could determine the distance from the surface of the
water and from the ship. Is this how the tracker works?  You'd have to
figure in a Z coordiante to complete this algorithm though, otherwise you
would end up with a location anywhere in a 360 degree radius of the ship.
I'm sure the acoustics would be collimated in degree or radians to give you
that last variable. This is quite simple when you think about it. I have
experience with lasers thickness devices based on reflectance times and
refractive indexes times and the associated electronics, but I have no
experience with the ultra or sonic transducers used for this purpose. What
frequency do these transducers usually operate at. Are they modulated in any
way, and do they use doppler or just time differnce for distance?
Suds