Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] UW-DGPS

Suds,
The sub will need to know where it is in relation to the surface antenna.
That's the acoustic link Phil and I were talking about. The fifty thousand
dollar one! The short based nav systems currently in use (Trackpoint has one
for about $15,000) tells a computer on deck where the sub is in relation to
the vessel, GPS tells the ship where it is, the computers whisper secrets to
each other and bingo, you got correlations. I'm not sure most of us need
quite that much information. Lucky us, as we mostly couldn't afford it
anyway.

Attenuation? Been almost a week since I had to do shielding calcs for the
upcoming refueling. The ALARA group seems to want most of that data
re-re-recalculated every time, never mind we just did it 18 months ago on the
same stinking valves!

Vance