Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] UW-DGPS

Mhh, seems no way without a
 ..floating antenna ..
seems cheap and simple on the first view.

But witch kind of winch ?. If you use
a long electric wire and a collector ring at the winch
you will get a lot of practical problems in salt water.

I do not want a floating antenna with a fixed long wire because
sometimes I wish that the sub is completly unvisible - special if
I find a new wreck in the baltic sea were are more divers than wrecks..
Or if my sub dive in a area were diving is forbitten. Or in a country
were the private boat owners has also private machinery guns - and some
of them think about submarines like
: "Only a dead submarine is a good submarine.."

And if you dive in 100 feet deep and your rope/wire is 300 feet
long you get the wrong position.  And if you on the the surface you
rope/wire get into you propulsion system ..(Pat - you will see this
problem on the video-tape with the radio-bouy-antenna).

So lets talk about a simple hightec antenna with a winch.
I think on a device like the following:

A surface bouy made from two half acrylic domes like
WWW.edsci.com stock number H71710 with a size of 7inch
diameter. Inside a Garmin GPS 12 with a size of 50 x 147 x 30 mm.
(147 mmm = 5,8 inch)
This hand-held GPS has a DGPS connector and a NMEA Outline.
Inside also a batterie and a normal echosounder and maybe some lead.
A compiler between the GPS and the normal echosounder so that the
GPS-NMEA (maybe also the DGPS -signal) get to the Echosounder as for
example a morse-code.

On the submarine side the same type of echosounder with the same
type of compiler to get the signal back to NMEA and than to the
navigation Laptop map-plotter-computer. The normal place for the bouy is
inside the sail of the sub in a seat which has a magnet which switch on
the bouy battery (read-contact) if the winch (a normal small-size anchor
winch - engine filled with oil - with maybe a bigger rope wheel.)give
the normal stainless steel 2mm rope free so the bouy can go to the
surface.
And switch off the bouy-battery if the bouy comes back to her seat.

The price for the two acrylic donmes are : 2 x 36 $ =  72 $
the price for the GPS Garmin GPS 12		    = 150 $
two digital echosonder 			  2 x 130 $ = 260 $
price for two compilers				    = ??
price for the winch 				    = ??
price for the seat 			      about =  5 $
price for the stainless 2mm rope		    =  ??
price for magnet and read contact 	      about = 10-20 $
total 					under 	    = 1K$ ?

A normal simple digital echosounder has a bottom range of 330 feet,
so without the way back it should be at minimum of 660 feet.
(But I think it has much more, because no reflection losses.)

If the GPS Bouy is not in use, we can use the echosounder
on the sub for deep messuring (Submarine sail to surface ).

How of you can built the electronics-compiler for the connection
between the GPS and the echosounder and the compiler from the
sub-echosounder to the navigation laptop ? Its a good work for winter
time..
I need the compiler at 13th of March 2004 +- 1 month.

Carsten - and I like time tables ..