Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] Dale's psub pictures

-----Original Message-----
From: D. Blake <dblake@bright.net>
To: personal_submersibles@psubs.org <personal_submersibles@psubs.org>
Date: Wednesday, March 15, 2000 10:15 AM
Subject: [PSUBS-MAILIST] Dale's psub pictures

Hello Dale:
I was just looking at the pictures of your sub on the psubs website to see if you had made any more progress, or I should say, if you had sent in any recent additions.  By the way, I think you are doing a fantastic job.  Anyway, in the picture that show's some of the air lines I noticed the cool transition into the conning tower from the hull, and how the reinforcement blends right into the middle hull reinforcement ring.  The trunk looks like it has a smooth rolled edge.  Did you have to do the rolling yourself? The piece looks like it was stamped on a press it's so uniform.
Well, keep up the good work. I look forward to seeing more pictures.
TTYL,
Big Dave

Thanks for the feedback.. The piece I think you are looking at is the conning tower reinforcing ring.. It is a 3/4 inch thick piece of material, and that is why it looks like the edge is rolled..I had a welding shop roll two flat pieces into a "c" shape.. I then cut and welded them together into a circle, then cut it to the contour of the hull, then welded it in.. there is a small gussett welded onto the 3rd hull reinforcing ring, that finishes it off nice..( the 2nd and 4th hull reinforcing ring are also welded to the same 3/4 inch thick piece too.. the whole thing seems very strong )The conning tower is short on the K250, and is made of 1/4 inch thick material..  The dome sits on top of the conning tower, which sits on the 3/4 inch thick ring,(conning tower reinforcing ring) which is welded to the hull, and actually protrudes in about 2.5 inches..

I hope this explanation helps...

And the sub is comming along great.. I will have some more pictures shortly..
I also visited a fellow in Fairmount, and took some picutres of his sub, and will have them posted as well..