Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] Re: GUNS and stuff

----- Original Message -----
From: "David Buchner" <buchner@wcta.net>

" So I think this is arguably on topic for a group of people taking on a
project that most people think is nuts, which involves a level of
non-professional skill and expertise -- not to mention motivation -- which
seems to be rarer and rarer. As I think Pat R. pointed out, it's interesting
to find out more about the extra-sub interests and attitudes of the
group..."

Hi David,

If to explore the craftsman is to explore his craft; then yes, I feel
discussion about the interests and opinions of PSUBBERS is also about PSUBS,
and therefore, of value to this forum.

Fundamentally, I think most of us are here to exchange information; part of
that process is the breaking down of barriers between opposing ideologies;
and it's been my experience almost any interaction between people has at
least the potential of contributing to that.  I believe our common ground is
SAFETY, and favor interaction leading to increased communication that will
ultimately serve that worthwhile mutual goal.

Of course, it could be said there comes a time when too much talk defeats
the purpose.  I mean, come on!  If submarines could be built from bullshit,
everyone would have their own Navy!  There comes a time to talk less and
work more.  In the final analysis, there aint nothing to it but to do it.

To those who are interested, I would admit that what really helps me is to
keep LISTS of short and long-term goals organized on paper that I can work
from.  More than any other single thing, WORKLISTS enabled me to make the
best use of my time, and ultimately achieve my submarine.

In most difficult endeavors, many people talk a good game, but comparatively
few actually turn their dreams into reality.  To those of you who really are
serious about building a submarine,  I would suggest that you make yourself
a list of long term goals.  At the bottom of one sheet of paper, write down
"First Float Test".  At the top of a separate sheet, write down where you're
at right now in terms of knowledge, skills, funding, facilities, tools, and
materials necessary to the construction of a submarine.  Then plan a course
of action that will take you from where you are now to where you want to be
in the future.  (Double space; you'll think of more entries as you go
along.)  This is your master worklist; now you have a basic idea of how to
get there from here.  As time goes on, you will create many more
short-term-goal worklists (I generated a big ol' stack of them in building
my NAUTILUS).  But if you will do all of the things on that list, you will
build yourself a submarine.  It's just that easy; and only that hard.
Organization and sustained effort are key factors; and for me, making and
working dedicatedly from lists helps a lot.  Maybe it will work for others
as well.

It's said "The journey of 1,000 miles begins with a single step".  Map out
your course; start walking; and if you do stop occasionally along the way,
pick up that list and remind yourself where you're going.  There is a
submarine waiting for you down the road.  All you've got to do is walk over
there and get it.

(Helpful hint: if you're starting from scratch, step one is through the
entrance to your local library.)

Walk on!

Pat R.