[PSUBS-MAILIST] Bow tank with windows was Re: Nekton

Hi Karl,
I know I have allready send you the drawing with the latest
concept of C.S.S.X P-00-1E3 or a variant from this generalplan.

The bow tank has a bottom vale. You can blow him out by air,
than close the bottom vale and open again the top air vale to get
the small amout 0,2 bar overpressure out.
There is a small access to the tank from the deck below
the pressure bottles 20 and 21. (The first two bottles in the
superstructure-deck.) You can remove the bolt and open it.
Then put a ladder in and go in. Now you can clean  the
1,2 m dome in the front endcap and also the 3 tank windows in
the bow from inside. Also you can do painting or refit the
internal tin-anodes. Or you can do some work on the
videocameras, the lihghts or on the two hardregulator tanks
or on the echosonder or.. It is not nessesary to put the 50 t sub out of
the water. In an other design the hatch is just over the pressure
proof acrylic dome and you can go inside the tank from
the contol-room. All parts of the submarine are inspectable from the
inside (without the drop weight) - so it is not nessesary to put the
sub out the water.
The acess for the stern tank is from the machinery space.

But normally I think you have only to flooded the tanks so that the
windows get wet - than blow out - maybe this will help. If not
its seeems not a big match to put a freshwater line pipe with some
nozzel to the four windows - we have allready built this kind of piping
made from sainless steel to clean the outside windows of our oceangoing
badweather Search and Rescue cruiser. Woks very good and is simple.
This pipes get their water from the hot water tank -
so it works also in winter time. If you want you
can also give a small amout of cleaner into the water but than
you can not use the tank from the bathroom and must juse a small
seperate tank.

And Dave - in my opinon 6 ft is to small for a autonomus concept. You
need
6 ft for the man , 1 ft. for the frames, some space for the piping,
some for the batteries. Best start for design study will be thinking
about the underwater speed and range - that about the amout of batteries
or oxygen bottles. Then do some main frame cross section studys with you
your biggest friend and the batteries inside. And than you get an first
diameter.

I started the design with 6 ft. but by now
its have 2,5m diameter within 8,2 ft..

C.S.S.X is now 15,22 m x 2,5 m  ( 50 ft by 8,2 ft.)
Its displaced 48 t surfaced and about 60 ts dived.
Dive deep will be 250 meter, test dive 310 meter
and destroy deep 500,023 meter.

At the moment I working on both concept - Diesel-electric and
close-cyle-diesel. Seems that the performance of the C.C.D is better
and the installation cost are cheaper, because you can start with only
some bottles in the superstructre-deck and if you what more underwater
range you can added some more. And you have not to remove 5-5 ts of
batteries each 4-5 years..

But I think a nice size will be if you can put it inside a 40 ft
container to shiping it worldwide. If you want this the diameter
will be limited to about 7-8 ft, the length to 39 feet.

Carsten