Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] Nekton, Delta

In a message dated 3/14/00 9:15:25 AM, dblake@bright.net writes:

<< Hi Karl:

Yes, I have heard about problems with corrosion especially where the ballast

tanks mate to the hull.  The same problem occurs on the K-boats.  Still,

since the ballast tanks on the delta are mated 360 degrees with the hull,

seems like the problem would be twice as bad.  Vance owns a K-350 and seems

to have come up with an answer though.  Maybe he can comment if he reads

this.

Big Dave >>

I'm not sure I would build a big sub that way. If you haven't found of copy
of Jacque Piccard's book Sun Beneath The Sea, it is worth lookinging for. It
is about the Ben Franklin, built for Grumman in Switzerland. A 50-foot sub
that could support 6 people for 30 days without surfacing, the BF did all its
sea trials out of Palm Beach before the big drift mission that was eclipsed
(more is the pity) by the first lunar landing. I'd rather have been aboard
the sub, I think. Anyhow, lots of interesting stuff about viewport locations
and ballast tanks and the like and might give you some food for thought.
Vance