Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] PSUB Fatalities...

On Mon, 06 Mar 2000 06:56:31 -0800, "Sean T. Stevenson"
<ststev@uniserve.com> wrote:

> Carrying a bottle of heliox 16 as escape SCUBA gas would permit an
> escape from up to 90 meters.  Of course, you'd probably sustain a bend
> escaping from that depth, but then bends you can cure... drowning you
> do not.

I don't understand this...

If you're in a 1 atm. sub, and you do an emergency exit, and free ascent to
the surface, why would you bend? I thought it was due to nitrogen build-up
in the blood, which is caused by prolonged exposure to pressure. But in a 1
atm sub, you're not exposed to the pressure at all until you exit the sub.

The guys who do those crazy stunts where they hold a weight and
free-descent down a rope to like 300 feet, and then release and free-ascent
up to the surface, all without any SCUBA gear at all, they don't bend...

So what gives?

Later,
Jon

   Jon Hylands      Jon@huv.com      http://www.huv.com/jon