Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] newbee

----- Original Message -----
From: <SFreihof@aol.com>
To: <personal_submersibles@psubs.org>
Sent: Friday, February 18, 2000 1:43 PM
Subject: Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] newbee

> In a message dated 2/17/00 1:35:54 AM Eastern Standard Time,
> vulcania@interpac.net writes:
>
> << However, other aspects (like the hydrobatic
>  ballast system) are in some ways better than I've seen on other subs. >>
>
> Hi Captain Nemo!
>
> That was a great letter, but the above reference piqued my interest.  I'm
not
> familiar with a "hydrobatic" ballast system.  Can you describe this in
more
> detail?
>
> Thanks!
>
> Stan

It's an offshoot of the aeronautical term AEROBATIC, meaning an aircraft
that can operate at unusual attitudes.  By HYDROBATIC, I mean my ballast
system will operate at unusual attitudes, including completely inverted; and
on ballast alone, I can achieve and recover from extremely unusual
attitudes.  You've seen that tail-first "death dive" at the end of 20,000
LEAGUES?  I can do that with the NAUTILUS MINISUB, and recover,  on ballast
alone.  Thus, my ballast system is HYDROBATIC in terms of capabilities.

VBR,

Pat Regan
vulcania@interpac.net