[PSUBS-MAILIST] T-shirts (was: Turtle)

On Fri, 11 Feb 2000 13:54:02 -0600 David Buchner <buchner@wcta.net>
writes:
>Geez it's HUGE! All the illustrations I've seen in kids' books make it
>look like a barrel. A large barrel, with elbow room (cranking room?),
>but... wow. By "7 1/2 feet long" do you mean "high"?

That 7 1/2 feet is the distance from the outside of the barrel at the
screw to the outside of the barrel just under the mine: the bow to
stern length.    I had a bit of trouble trying to figure out what to call
what, and I finally just gave up and was conventional.

It wasn't a real barrel shape, apparently, but it was obviously made
by a barrel-maker.

It's at least eight feet from the weights in the bottom to the "deck."

Andany way I try to do it, the center of buouyancy is very high, but
the pilot sits a lot higher.   No one should build it except at full
size.

>Re: The Hunley. I propose a nice cavalier P-Subs T-shirt slogan: "Gee,
>I hope we don't die."

Add ", too." to that, and you got it.

Or: "Let's try again, anyway."
Or: "I think I know why."
Or: "Who's counting?"

Alfred E. Neuman, from MAD Magazine, is known for that "What, me worry?"
line.   That came from a cartoon in a New York newspaper showing John
P. Holland sticking his head out of the hatch (you know the shot) and
saying
"What, me worry?"

I came up with a great one for Pat's Nautilus: a picture of the sub, with
Nemo's quote about another Nautilus in 100 years, and this below
that: "Actually, it was 124 years."

>HEY, AND DANGIT: What's the word on the dirty "S" word appearing in
>the first lines already? :-)

?

Mike
--