[PSUBS-MAILIST] A gadget is needed

As a part of the Turtle idea, I need a device that will limit the
maximum depth.   The device to do this should be simple,
absolutely reliable and inexpensive.

The first thing that came to mind was a hydrostatic thingie.
But that would require yet another hole in the hull.

I did give some consideration to a photocell that would
trip a relay when the light diminished to that I expect to
see at whatever depth.   But water is variable, and I can
foresee all sorts of interesting results if a boat passed
over the sub.

A float with a contact at the top is another idea, but they
can get lost or damaged, and they do offer a lot of drag.
(The Turtle was draggy enough without adding modern
stuff.)

I suppose an upward-looking depth sounder would
do it.   Do any depth sounders have an output that can
be used to trip a relay?

Mike Holt
--

Juno now offers FREE Internet Access!