[PSUBS-MAILIST] Launching at the boat ramp (was: Langkawi Islands)

On Mon, 31 Jan 2000 15:40:04 -1000 "Captain Nemo" <vulcania@interpac.net>
writes:
>Basically, one rule-of-thumb might be "a depth equal to the distance
from
>the ground to the subs waterline, trailer included".   (About 4 1-2 feet
for
>the NAUTILUS MINISUB).

Part of what I'd like to get out of this question is awareness of the
problem.   When I'd launch my Newport 16, I needed about three feet
of water to float that little sailboat.   But it was light enough that as
soon
as it bobbed on the trailer, I could shove it into the water.   Odds are
that a psub will sit lower and will have to be floating over most of its
length before it can be manhandled.

In the Old Days, when the Germans were launching Martens from
Italian beaches, they had to carry the damn things (manned and loaded)
pretty far from the edge of the water.   I've wondered about
building a catamaran to support the sub as it's launched.    The
catamaran
would then be folded up and put back on the trailer.

>You might get away with less water using rollers, a winch, and such; but
my
>trailer doesn't have those due to the shape of the NAUTILUS' keel.  I
need
>enough water on the ramp to float the sub free at launch, and also to
>recover it.

Yeah -- it's the floating free that I can see as a problem at most
landings.

That, and the bassboaters who want to come over to help.

Mike
--

Juno now offers FREE Internet Access!
http://dl.www.juno.com/get/tagj.