[PSUBS-MAILIST] For Shadetree Sub Builders (like me)...

Wow!  I was just sitting here scarfing a crab-melt and orange juice, and going through some of the posts in the Archive.  I see there has been a lot of "hotly contested" issues discussed in the past, to put it mildly.  I see we have contributors ranging from engineers and college professors, to guys who are at the very beginning of their journey towards submersible enlightenment.  I'd like to establish where I'm at, so whatever information I might offer on this forum can be perceived in the proper context.

I'm not sure what to call my involvement with submarines, other than to say it sure isn't "professional".  Since 1955, I've had a love for underwater technologies, but my work therein has been mostly done in the name of personal fulfillment.

The NAUTILUS MINISUB was my first attempt at a pressure-hull-type sub, and in some ways it is more a work of "functional art metalsculpture" than something to which the words "safe" or "practical" or "efficient" could be applied.  My main motivation was that I thought it would be neat to have a functional replica of Nemo's submarine, and that other people would enjoy seeing it.  So far, I haven't been disappointed.

I'm definitely a "for fun" and a "shallow-water only" kind of sub builder; I'm not the underwater equivalent of a rocket scientist; and I relate mostly to those guys like myself who are out there all around the World, struggling in their crude little backyard shops, trying to do something most people tell us is impossible.

If you ever hear me say "This is how I build submarines," it isn't meant in an egotistical way; it means I'm not saying this is "the" way to build submarines; or suggesting this is how "you" should build your submarine; it is only the way that I build mine, offered for whatever that might be worth.

I've had my NAUTILUS up and running since 1991; and I'm building other "scale replica subs" as well.  My boats (and a lot of homebuilt subs, for that matter) might not be on a par with professionally built submarines, but I believe as long as they are well-made, conceptually sound, and operated under sensible conditions, they can safely provide a lot of recreational fun.  And basically, that's what my involvement with homebuilt submarines is all about.

VBR,

Pat Regan
vulcania@interpac.net