Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] But seriously, folks...

At 0000 -0600 01/29/0, Captain Nemo wrote:
> There's also a lot of  interest in alternative materials....
> I wonder if this is because many folks
> either don't have much  experience in steel fabrication....

Oh yes; I think you may have something there. Myself, I've been convinced about steel; I deal with my inexperience and lack of technology by simply expecting to put off my sub building for a couple years; till I have the tools and stuff. FWIW, if I imagine the actual work doing it, fiberglass sounds ever-so-much nastier and more time-consuming and fussy than metal-work. There's fumes, and stickiness, and dealing with bubbles and trying to get a smooth finish and so on.

My dad used to be a welder, a steamfitter, by trade -- and when I was growing up I watched him make *everything* out of steel... even stuff which would've sufficed and most people would've done with wood (or plastic, or sometimes cardboard). He obviously agrees that:

> Steel is wonderful stuff to work with!? True: it's oftentimes hot,  cold,
> or sharp; and it's always heavy; but it's surprisingly versatile, and
> you'd be amazed at what you can make if you get yourself a torch, an arc
> welder,  a couple grinders, and practice for a while.

Indeed, that's what I'm waiting for!

--
David
Osage MN USA