Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] your own country

Hi,

Anyone ever see the movie "Hello Down There"? It was about a family the moved into an
underwater home to prove it could be done. I once dreamed of building a sub base like that.
Slip it out into the ocean and sink it into place. Or even build it in place.

As long as a government doesn't find out then you can get away with it. Since then I found
a few problems with the idea.

First, you would have a hard time hauling it out to sea without being spotted. It sure would
draw a crowd on the boat ramp.

Second, if you could even get into place without being caught wouldn't the Navy's SOLSTIC (sp?
under water listening net ) pick it up. The Navy would investigate. Even it you put it a long
ways away from the USA a US nuke sub might pick you up on sonar. Or a fishing boat with net.

Third, once it place some one might stumble across your sub in transit.

Forth, where do you go for spare parts? Just how independant can it be? It's own mine,
foundry and machine shop? Chemical lab for chmecals.

Fithe, corrosion. How do you do maintenance on it? Do you have to float is every time you
need to paint it or scrape off the barnicles?

Bummer though, just the right size for a couple of PSUBS.

Regards,
Ray