Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] Hello All

Hello Doug:
The name Doug seems ever more present among psub folks.  Welcome to the
discussion group.
Yes, the notion of creating, building, and finally operating a submersible
is awesome.  Very few people are interested in such an undertaking.  As a
clinician in the mental health field, I can say without hesitation that most
of those interested would probably fit into some catagory of diagnosis if
the situation presented itself.  But of course we avoid situations where we
might be diagnosed, right?  I'm kidding.  Although, if you read the archives
you will no doubt come across the word "crazy" here and there.
I don't know about psubs being in it's infancy.  In fact, the heyday seems
to have been in the 60's and 70's.
Today there are R.O.V.s doing the work of underwater exploration because of
the advances in technology.  I think the reason for the lack of regulation
is because of the brief time manned submersibles were used, and the lack of
public attention.
I agree whole-heartedly that we need some organization to define parameters
and develop standards.  The "white papers" in the archive are a good start,
but need to be expanded upon.  We just need to do some research and get busy
putting it down on paper.  Like many others, I have had my fill of research
papers while in school, but it would be very beneficial to the field if we
would just discipline ourselves to the task.  In the end, we could pat
ourselves on the back.
Again, welcome to the group.
TTYL,
Big Dave