Re: Hydrophones (was: periscopes)

Wow, John J. Meshna Jr. !!! That's a blast from the past. Are they still in
business?? I think I used to be one of there best customers. That was back
in my electrical design years. I still have lots of goodies that I bought
from them and still haven't figured out what to make. As far as acoustics
go, I wanted to design an earpiece for scuba divers that was uni-directional
so that in murky waters you could tell where other divers were based on the
noise they made from exhaling air. I also wanted it to detect oncoming
watercraft so you wouldn't ascend into someones prop. As a diver with close
to a thousand hrs. logged, it was more than a few times when I almost broke
surface hearing the high speed prop pitch. I originally tried a two detector
ultrasonic unit (sonar) for detecting other divers. One to transmit, the
other to receive. Finally I settled on a hydophone and an amp from a "big
ear" snooping device. Not only could I detect other divers, but I could also
detect a boat prop from great distances. I had it mounted on my wet suit
hood (detector), and got lots of ribbing from my diving buddies (what are
buds for, right). It was a good idea, but not a real necessity. Usually,
when something is not a necessity, it usually doesn't get used a lot, so
it's currently in my shop somewhere, collecting dust.
Suds