Psub Design Steps

Shipmates,

I want to thank you for the feedback I have received, both personal and
public, on my posting.  I want emphasize that this was not intended to be
"the way" to design a Psub.  I hope, in time, to lay out at least a half a
dozen ways to design a boat, so that a designer  can "mix and match" the
approaches as he or she sees fit.

The approach I laid out was the "over-engineered" approach, which I believe
has merit.  For myself, when I designed the "Undaunted", I used the "Sears
and Roebuck" method.  I went into the Sears in Orlando, FL, in 1973, and used
what they had in stock.  My "small vents" were simply the smallest valves
they had in stock, and my "large vents" were simply the largest they had in
stock.   My ballast pumps where simply the largest they had, and my motors
were simply their largest trolling motors in stock.  My boat was 4 feet at
the conning tower and 16 feet long because marine plywood came in 8 by 4 foot
sheets, and I wanted to minimize the number I needed.  It was all
reverse-engineered.

I am also considering the "benchmark approach".  Here you look at as many
existing designs as possible, and mix and match from them.  Another approach
could be the "component approach".  Here you plot out all of the component
parts you want, and then build a hull to go around them.  So please do not
get wrapped around the axle on my first rough draft of one of 5-6 design
approaches.  I am still in the "brain storming" stage of all of this.

Again, thanks for your input,

Doug