Re: Minesweeper hulls and speed

On Sun, 22 Aug 1999 10:36:32 +0200 Carsten Standfuß writes:
>I made no calculations, this numbers are given from a tank test of a
>Delphin (Dolphin) midget (Germany 1944). The Delphin ( L = 5,48 m ,
>B = 1,0 m, Displ. = 2,664 / 2,8 m3)  has the same size and hull
>parameter than the minesweeper hull. You found a little more
>information in WWW.U-boat.net and than midgets.

Thanks, Carsten.

I've spent a lot of time at U-boat.net, but the technical data there is
lacking.   I must admit it's getting much more complete!

>Source: Unterseeboote und Torpedos mit Kreislaufantrieb
>	(Submarines and Torpedos with closed circle diesel)
>	Kiel 1969 by K.H.Kurzak and E.Rößler
>        page 141 : Power curves for Delphin Midget after tank test.
>	Test runs 24/25.07.-1944
>
>3 Units (with E-torpedo-engine) build
>runs 17 kn with 42 hp (underwater) .

If I can figure out how it works, I'll put those number in an Excel
spreadsheet.

We might think about translating some of these books into English.
Do you know anyone who would be interested in publishing such
translations?   I can ask here; perhaps the Naval Institute would
want this done.

>(my first sub-drawing - I was 9 years old - based on this midgets,
>I made it smaller in scale and human powered driven - made also the
>workshop drawings in 1:1 but never build it...)

Do you still have those drawings?

My first (at about 9, also) was based on a Type VIIc, but it was
planned to be about 30 feet long.   My drawings never got
beyond the basic layout of the internals.   I was amazed to find,
much later, that I'd guessed correctly where the ballast and trim
tanks are on a real VIIc.

Michael Holt