Water Jets

I was watching something on TV about how Harriers use air jets to not only
hover, but to push the wings up and down, and to push the tail sideways.
I'm thinking it might be feasible to have a sub propelled by a water jet,
and manuevered by smaller jets pushing in different directions.  Maybe using
pressure washer pumps?  It would make a sub a lot more streamlined without
any motors hanging outside!  Can anyone think of any pros and cons to this
idea?

                                 Steve McColman, Vancouver Island