battery boxes

VBra676539@aol.com wrote:

> In a message dated 6/29/99 10:14:00 AM, empiricus@sprint.ca writes:
>
> <<I've emailed some pics on battery case (actually, any kind of case really)
> flange
> construction to Ray.  Hopefully they'll be posted soon.  Very basic stuff but
> it'll
> keep the water out.
>
> Rick

[snip]

> And of course, the charm of these things is that you can load a bunch of
> batteries into a cheap container and go diving. No heavy, cumbersome pressure
> vessels to worry about. And to give the devil his due, the things work very
> well. Once you are set up to top up the battery oil when needed and all that,
> then it works, wonder of wonders, just like a battery. You still have to run
> bulkhead electrics and all that, but the JSLs have a very neat, homemade set
> of penetrators that compensate automatically and work like a champ.

Hi, Vance - I'm missing something here - I'm getting that the batt cases themselves are being
compensated with the oil, of course.  We're talking about H2 venting - right?

For shallower dives of, say, < 120', I'm wondering if the oil is worth the effort.  Do you think
that a pressure vessel with the appropriate penetrators would be better at these depths?  the
pressure case wouldn't have to be all that thick or cumbersome.

Opinions?  Crass remarks?  Insights?

--
Rick Lucertini
empiricus@sprint.ca

"Outside of a dog books are a man's best friend -
Inside of a dog there isn't enough light to read."

   Groucho Marx