Re: subs for checkout instruction

In a message dated 6/29/99 2:17:50 PM, bartoni2@go.com writes:

<< Dry subs seem so restricted and too complicated to be any fun and very
dangerous.  Do you live on the beach Vance and what kind of psub do you own
and where do you use it?  Thanks, Jack

No sub training centers are left, alas, and down here you had to be a
customer or an employee, even in the big construction days. That's where I
got hooked up, at Perry Submarine Builders & Perry Oceanographics--now
defunct.

You're 100% correct about the relative simplicity of wet subs, although the
relative dangers are, well .... relative. You can get hurt out there in the
wet, too. It's easy to stay too long, go too deep, change depths faster than
your ear can handle, and so on. The dry 1-atm subs protect you from all that.
And if properly built (and they can be surprisingly simple) they are easy to
operate and maintain. Either way requires a big committment of time, energy
and dinero. And either way you can't just "go diving". You go mess with the
sub--which includes but is not limited to "going diving". It complicates
things a whole bunch.

I live in coastal Florida, just north of Palm Beach.

Vance