Re: Speed control

Thanks Dave,
I went to the site and saw all the nice regress pictures (p-n junctions),
read about half of the text and remembered why I am an ME.  Actually, I
didn't see what the significance of the difference was between a MOSFET
and an IGBT was in actual practice.  Does this device handle more
current?, voltage?, use less power to turn on?, or what?  I purchased a
couple of PWM controllers recently to use in variable speed diver
propulsion units.  They were surplus and therefore not expensive.  If I
start making these for sale I will be looking for low cost units which I
can get on a regular basis.  I would even consider making the units if the
design was robust and the parts could be obtained cheaply.  Could these
IGBT's be used in a 12vdc, 30 amp PWM cost effectively?  A simple answer
will suffice for now, details could follow later if appropriate.
Thanks for your inputs,
Dick