Re: On board fires

Just wanted to make a comment regarding Nitrox.....(seeing how I'm a
Nitrox
instructor :-)

First of all, Nitrox is simply oxygen enriched air.  Contrary to popular
belief, Nitrox is NOT used for deep dives.....Trimix is. (He, N2, O2)
The only thing deep divers use nitrox for is accelerated decompression
at the shallower decompression stops.

The main advantage of Nitrox is that of extended no decompression times
at
recreational depths (<130').  With Nitrox, there is less nitrogen in the
breathing mixture compared to air and since it is the nitrogen content
which
determines the NDL, you get more bottom time with nitrox.

The reason Nitrox is not used for deep diving is 2 fold.  First, since
it
has a higher O2 content than air, Oxygen Toxicity becomes a concern.
This
can occur at an O2 partial pressure of 1.6 ATM or above.  For straight
air,
this occurs at 218'.  The other consideration is Nitrogen Narcosis.
This is
why Trimix is used for deep diving.  Trimix for deep diving is usually
hypoxic
at shallower depths to get around the O2 tox problem, and part of the
nitrogen
is replaced by helium to reduce or eliminate narcosis.

Well, I've blabbed enough....just wanted to contribute to an area I have
some
experience in!

Al

DaveIrons@aol.com wrote:

> Jon and Rick you have made some good points.

<<<<Bunch of stuff snipped>>>>

--
Al Secor  ARS: WA3PWX  Scuba Instructor SSI DCSI 5528
http://people2.clarityconnect.com/webpages6/wrkdiver