Exosuit

Hi, Axel!
        Hmmm, you do come up with some off-center questions . . .the name
for the mask thing is a 'vision  dome'  - we tend to think of a dome as
hemispherical . .although the term  means simply  a convex shape. The
Exosuit vision dome is tear-drop shaped, rounded at the narrow end. The
shape was dictated by a limitation of the NEWTSUIT's round vision dome; if
you look at underwater photographs of the NS, you will most often see the
suit in a 45 degree position, when working or flying. For years we  said
that 'assuming this position offers less drag' which, of course, is true.
.  .but is not the reason for the position. If you put your hands together
in a 'prayer' position at about mid-chest level, that's the most effective
work position - but you can't see your hands in that position from the NS.
You can accomplish nearly the same thing by putting your arms forward and
putting the suit in a 45 degree position ( on long axis).  That's why it
was done that way. The tear drop vision dome is an advance on the design
and allows you to look straight down or straight up while in a vertical
position, without craning your neck forward - much more efficient.  It also
allows you to look ahead while swimming in the normal scuba position. The
guard risers on either side of the vision dome house mini flat-screen
monitors that give position/life-support/systems data continously. The
cut-away sides allow a 180 degree side view. The dome is joined to it's
seat by a captured radial o-ring. ( Look at the lens of your nikonos -
particularly the 15mm) There is no other retainer. The shape dictates that
the dome sealing ring can't be turned, but must be milled on a CNC machine.
A little more expensive, but well worth it.
        With regard to the flat facets on the hand pods . . .the large top
ones are for view screens, the side ones (where the standard manipulator
is, now) are for a thumb and three fingered 'hand' arrangement that will
allow manipulative dexterity to the point where you wil be able to pick up
a pen - and then sign your name! I didn't get them finished in time for the
New Oeleans shows ( where the prototype pictures were taken) Your comment
on the spacer scallops is correct. The radical shapes are possible because
of the small diameters and are a matter of area versus thickness. The
cut-aways are not cosmetic ( altho' I think they look pretty cool,
personally!) they are to reduce the volume of the limb conduits between the
rotary joints. You are stuck with a certain minimum size ring in the flex
joints ( pull your forearm up to your bicep and measure the ring diameter
it would take to house that shape versus the much, much , smaller diameter
at the elbow when your arm is extended)) so a place to reduce volume ( and,
thereby, in-air weight) is in the spacers between the rotary joints and
where possible, in the suit torso.
        Do your enquries mean that we finall have pictures of the Exo
posted - istead that that old initial drawing I did a few yeats ago?? I
guess I better flash it up and have a look!

Regards

Phil Nuytten