re: 'exotic' metals?

Phil Nuytten wrote:

> [snip]        We are currently building several elaborate combination lifting
> frame/crash-bars  made out of Ti, for a customer who will be using the Deep
> Workers 24 hours a day

Hi, Phil and All . . .

I read John Brownlee's post on Ti and your response.  I'm vaguely familiar with its
military applications.

My question: what is Ti doing in a prosaic application like a crash bar/lifting
frame?  D.Worker is a small vessel.  Heavy, yes.  The need for strength is there.
But, Ti?  Overkill at first sight, but, I'm obviously missing something.

I would have imagined that most of the heavy duty stuff would be needed in the
lifting apparatus and not on board DW.

I'm curious as to the design rationale.

> Rick Lucertini

empiricus@sprint.ca