Re: concrete weight

Hi Gary, and all,
My point exactly! I was quoting Dave Irons on part of my last message.
I have not done the actual calculations yet, but I'm planning on it today.
I am thinking that any Psub should be under 8,000 lbs, because if you go over
that, you will have more expense in moving and launching. This would make it
unpractical as a Personal Sub. A friend of mine has a 14,000 Lb Steel Sub and he
had to get a special CDL drivers license so he could move it himself, not to
mention the tractor trailer rig needed. I know that at 4500 lbs, my sub is a
handful to transport and launch. So I will see what I can come up with for a
concrete sub hull in the 5-8 thousand lb range using the " hull thickness of . 08
the outside diameter of the hull." Does any one have the minimum safe thickness
for a concrete hull? I would not want to go any thinner than 3" on any concrete
hull, so I will use that as a minimum for now, unless someone has more info on
that. If this concrete sub idea won't float, I guess there would be no sense in
going into endless debate over the other aspects of concrete construction. Lets do
some Calcs and see how it comes out.
On my ribless, light Steel hull sub, the entire hull was about 1/3 the
displacement, 1/3 lead and iron ballast, and 1/3 in equipment and payload.
More later...
Jon Shawl