Re: How catastrophic is catastrophic?

protek@shreve.net wrote:

> Rick,
>     My attempt at humor was not a flame of anyone on here talking about
> concrete.     [snip]

Not taken that way at all.

I've come to the conclusion (I apologized to you in a private email, remember?) that
all of YOU guys and all of US guys were basically saying the same thing: dive safely,
but, within parameters.

I truly feel that one atm. boats are just too dangerous much beyond three atm's.  I
replied to Axel and, at one point, was slightly tongue-in-cheek, about one-atm.
boats.  Many of the arguments you put forth were very valid and I mentioned that to
you.  There are just so many considerations regarding one-atm's.

> As long as I am allowed to stay on psubs I will probably try to persuade
> people to not venture out into what they do not know about.

> I just do not want to see anyone get hurt, and the idea
> of using exotic unapproved materials scares me here.
>
> Gary Boucher
>
> P.S. This is NOT a flame.  Anyone considering it so is misunderstanding me.

Gary, there is absolutely nothing in this post that can be taken as a flame.

Many of the points that came up regarding "exotic" materials can be applied to rolled
steel one-atm boats.  But, that's from where I stand.  I think it depends on where
the builder stands on the scale of knowledge and experience.

An argument could be put forth that one "should" start with an u/w scooter, graduate
slowly into a wet sub, then a semi-dry, then a dry ambient, then a two atm.(depth)
one atm sub, then to a 300 footer, then to concrete, etc.  Exotica depends, again, on
resources: financial, intellectual, physical, and field experience.  Everything's
relative.

Rick

--
Rick Lucertini