Re: Various

Marsee Skidmore wrote:

> > Sign me up for "All Metric."

Metric, ok with me.

> > Explosive bolts aren't such a bad idea. Spacemen use them because they're
> very reliable. They can throw a lot of shrapnel, but water is a good
> projectile absorber. The bigger worry is the shock wave that can buckle an
> otherwise happy pressure vessel. Still, if they're far enough away from the
> pressure hull, and the alternative is slow death by asphyxiation, they may
> be just the ticket. Explosive actuated cutters avoid the difficulties of
> shrapnel and shock. I haven't the foggiest clue where Regular Guys can buy
> Explosive bolts or cutters.

I'm still thinking, what part of the sub would you need to use them on?In what
subbing scenario would they be useful?

> > Regarding pressure testing, one can avoid big noises, damaged test tanks
> and dead SCUBA divers by filling the pressure vessel under test with liquid.
> That's almost, but not quite full. The energy of the (potential) implosion
> is a function of the compressible volume.

That sounds like a great idea! Another plus is that with the hull partly flooded
you won't have to put in so much lead ballast to submerge it. This will help
when it does crush and you have to bring it back up to see what went wrong.

> > Ray, the movie you remember was about an incident involving the
> Johnson-Sea-Link. I think Lee J. Cobb played Edwin Link. The JSL was a lot
> more bare bones than it is today, but a tubular "anti-entanglement"
> structure had been built around it. The boat brushed a snagged fishing net,
> and one of the tubes was snagged by a snap hook. So much for safety devices.
> Mr. Link's son died.
>
> :-o Joe

What was the name of this movie, and is it on tape? Was it one Snap hook that
held the sub under?  Jon Shawl