Re: Conning towers and stuff

The conning tower is to provide more freeboard at the surface.  If
you notice pictures of most small subs on the surface, the top of
the main hull (cylinder) is barely above the water if at all.  Any
little wave action could cause water to enter the open hatch of the
sub.  The conning tower gets the hatch well above the water line to
prevent this.  I believe the ABS guidelines for sub design specify a
minimum for this to get certified.

Al

--
Alan D. Secor