Re: IR cameras vs. viewports

On Sun, 17 Jan 1999 09:38:33 -0700 (MST) John Brownlee writes:
>	One big question with any CCD or IR  detector setup  is to
>carefully consider the scattering and absorbtion regime of the material
>you're looking through.  Also, particulate
>sizes in most 'cloudy' water are going to affect the IR pretty heavily,
>and then there's the nightmare of detector cooling to consider.

I once perused the various graphs with an eye to determining the best
color for the exterior lamps on a submarine to operate in Loch Ness.
It's really frustrating, as I recall.  This was about 15 years ago.

>Once upon a time, I believe a sub was built using fiber optics instead
of
>viewports called  the
>DOWB (Deep Ocean Work Boat). It's in the Busby book, I'd be interested
>in any accounts of how usable this system was.

I have the pilot's manual from DOWB.  I got a copy of it from Santa
Barbara
City College about ten years ago.

There was, as I recall, no mention of the system performance.

At some point the dorsal "eye" was moved from its central location
to a position at the bow.

My feeling about the idea of two 180-degree eyes was that the images
would be confusing to humans.  Maybe there are insects or lizards or
birds that might be able to assimilate that sort of image, but humans
are accustomed to overlapping images from a single direction.

>	The wavelength longwards of thermal IR showed a lot of promise
>in the literature search I did a long time ago. Wonder if anyone has
tried
>this sort of system, as it would give better resolution than sonar with
>far less of the quirks.

I never got into this sort of thing.  Tell us more.

Is there anything in the Edmund catalog that could be adapted?

>	Just the same, viewports are still important. I plan on having
>them, at least! :)

But of course!   Why dive if you can't see?

Michael B. Holt
Oregon Hill, Richmond, Virginia, U.S.A.
--

or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]