Re: New guy with questions

Hi Bill,

Welcome aboard!

>Submariners,
>
>First of all, I'm a computer neophyte so if I've inadvertently sent this to
>the wrong place, please don't hesitate to correct me.  Obviously, I'm also
>new to your group.

This is the right place.

>Although I've always had an interest in submersibles,  I did not, until
>recently, realize small submersibles might be available to the general public
>or that there might be a contingent of those with similar interests.

Sorry. We don't advertise. We are a low keyed group.

>As I'm no mathmetician, engineer, or naval architect, I've no desire to
>design a submarine of my own.  I have, however found a design which appears
>would best suit my needs, but I'd like to see if anyone out there can offer
>any advice or insight.

Did you want a 1 atm or an ambient design? The cost difference is at
least one order of magnitude. Does it matter to you?

>The particular design which catches my attention is that of Capt. George
>Kittredge, the K-350.  I've contacted him with many of my questions but
>thought others may have some experience with his designs.

George actually has several designs:

K-250
K-350
K-600
K-600 two man
UEM (Ultimate Exercise Machine - human powered with sail on surface)

In all I believe at least 20 units have be built based on his plans.

I visited George a couple of years ago. I put some photos on the
web site at:

Main page -> Sources -> Kittredge -> Photos

I was able to look at the UEM before it was finished. The UEM is
based on the K-250 hull. He made it by converting a K-250 that he
had on hand.

The K-600 was nice. I was able to climb inside and out. Took lots
of photos.

Since the visit was several years ago I probably don't remember all
the details. I did do a trip report to the group so you might
want to check the archives. I'll send you the approximate date
when I get back into the States, I am currently in Taiwan till the
end of the week.

I didn't actually dive in his submersibles. Just looked at them
closely out of water. I believe we have one Psuber in Maryland who
teaches submersible piloting with a modified Kittredge design.
I can't remember the name so please speak up.

>I cannot afford a finished product and would therfore have to perform the
>bulk of the construction myself.  Any information anyone might provide would
>be greatly appreciated.

You are in the same boat (pun?) as the rest of us. The choices are
almost down to :

house or psub
wife or psub
kids or psub

As long as you can justify a psub as a long term hobby, the wife
usually can live with it. Especially if you approach it by how
much money you save by doing it yourself. At least the above is
true in my case. :)

Welding and machining skills are a plus though you can contract that
out. Just make sure the welder is certified to weld on ship hulls
(I don't know the name of that class of welder). You don't want the
typical auto shop welder doing your hull since a hull is a large
heat sink and you might get poor quality welds. You need someone
who knows what they are doing.

Machining may be less critical as long as they can machine per
blueprints.

The materials are important. Follow George's recommendations. His
designs have passed certification of the three major world wide
certification agencies.

If you are going for certification then contact that agency before
you start. Make sure you understand all the requirements and paper
work ahead of time. Also be aware that the certification may cost you
more then the actual submersible. The only real reason for
certification is that you can take on paying passengers, get
contract work and get insured. I don't know if it is worth it. This
is an individual decision.

>Sincerely,
>
>Bill Winner

I also strongly suggest you become a certified scuba diver.

Regards,
Ray