Re[2]: sub design

     This is in the group's web link address
     frenetweb.com/bd/pictures/rippleFull.jpg
     Here's the description from psub's web page.  The pictures look cool,
     but I wonder about cost and safety.

A high performance, one man submersible of streamlined
                fiberglass construction. Looks much like a dolphin.

                Here is some Bionic Dolphin (VASH) information.

                - about 12' long
                - 600 lbs (very positively buoyant)
                - carbon/kevlar/spectra outer shell
                - fiberglass inner shell around pilot
                - closed cell hard foam filler (sprayed in)
                - kevlar/foam composite bulkheads
                - partial F-16 canopy
                - 200 HP two-stroke V6
                - cut-off tail flat, which created a vortex while
                  moving submerged to helped to draw out the exhaust
                - builder has had it down to 50 feet
                - could stay down for two minutes because the engine
                  had a compressed air supply
                - did not have any type of scrubber, cockpit air just got stale
                - hydroplaned on surface at 85 mph, submerged up to 35 mph

                The project was a success from a mechanical standpoint,
                but they were not able to market it. The Coast Guard requires
                certification of any dry one-atmosphere submersible being
                sold to the public, and they will not certify anything
                that has a fiberglass inner hull. It has to be steel,
                aluminum, titanium, etc.

                The VASH prototype is currently owned by a company
                'Planet Hydrosphere' (the original investers) in Florida.

                It was designed by Thomas Rowe, and the prototype was built
                by Dennis Kaiser .