Re: Concrete subs?

Hi All,
I searched DEJANEWS http://dejanews.com/
for 'submarines' and found out that there is a thread
running in sci.military.naval about cement subs.
I haven't read all messages, but I caught the proposition
 of a double fiberglass/cement hull. This sounds really wrong to me.
Different materials won't react the same under pressure, temperature, UV,
chemicals,... and then how do you check both? If concrete is to be used for
sub hulls, this should be waterproofen by an additive (like those used for
swimming pools. They make concrete waterproof AND a bit softer so it can
absorb deformation without cracking) inside the cement mixture, not around it.

Paul's description of a possible procedure to build a concrete hull sounds
good but still some major issues should be answered:
- How making concrete waterproof?
- How having a perfect connection between concrete hull and jonction steel
plate
(concrete shrinks a lot during drying phase)?
- How calculating the strength of such a hull (where, how, and what kind of
iron bars stiffening of the concrete should be used?)

These questions seems to me impossible to answer at our level for a "x"
percent safety operation
(replace "x" with the figure you accept to play your life with).

Though I still think concrete could be an idea to test (SHALLOW WATERS!) the
behavior of a certain hull shape.

Axel Iehle