Re: Thruster Steering

Yes Steve, you just discovered the way all the ROVs work. If you give a
look to any of the many Remote Operated Vehicles currently in use worldwide
in the oceanic exploration (water surveillance, pipe inspection...) you'll
see they usually have a set of four to six thrusters which enable the ROV
to move forward and reverse, right and left, up and down and any
combination of these movements.
I don't know about any "cons" for using this propulsion system on P-subs
(maybe the costs), I know some deep sea research vessels use the same
configuration.

You can get some more info at:
http://www.ise.bc.ca/rov.html
http://www.calweb.com/~captnemo/sub.htm