Re: flat hatch

At 01:30 AM 5/13/1998 GMT, you wrote:

>On Tue, 12 May 1998 18:05:25 PDT, "STEVE McColman"
><steve_mccolman@hotmail.com> wrote:
>> Thanks for all the advice guys!  But, does anyone know if there is an
>> actual spec for how thick the hatch would need to be to withstand 60,000
>> psi?   Oh, and Gary what do you mean by a "tank head".?  The end of a
>> propane tank ,maybe!           Steve

>The pressure wasn't 60,000 psi, it was 60,000 pounds total. There's a
>fairly significant difference...
>
>My point earlier was not that a flat plate would support the pressure, it
>was the adjective used to describe the pressure at 400 feet... I've been
>doing a lot of research lately on deep-diving small autonomous subs, and
>I've had 20,000 feet in my head as a good depth for my third AUV (Deep
>Seeker).

        "AUV"?  ["Autonamous Underwater Vehicle"?]

>The pressure at 20,000 feet is definitely what I would call horrendous...
>I guess it's all relative to what you have in your mind... :-)
>Later,
>Jon

        Jon, are most AUV's being designed or built right now straight
battery powered?
I'm just curious why something else like fuel cells aren't being considered
for a power
source, since it seems to me that this would allow more range and endurance.

        For those that don't know, my 'dream' submarine would be H2/O2 fuel cell
powered versus battery powered for more endurance and autonomy.  More of an "RV"
sub than a deep diver.