Re: Batteries AGM

Hi,

> I am very financially limited unlike the rest of you (made
> of money :) )

Money what's that? Is that simular to the mythical object called... time? :)

> After the discussion, I had resolved to use 1 ATM for the sub and also to put
> the batteries in that 1 ATM. If you are forced to, I would imagine that a 1/2"
> thick steel tube attached to the bottom of your sub would give you the 1 ATM
> you need. An inside sliding track for the batteries would allow you to remove > the batteries out of an end that would possibly screw on? Just a thought but I
> think it would work... This type of steel structure would be the most
> affordable as well I believe.

As for the dimensions I can't say but Kittredge uses two battery cylinders
under his hull. Looking from the front they would be roughly at the 4 and 8
o'clock positions and parallel to the long axis of the hull. They are made
from pipe and have a plate bolted to the aft ends.

He uses two pods for incase one floods he still has power and some lift from
the air in the other pod. Actually in some of our coorespondance he stated that
he once had a battery explosion. It occured at depth when he turned the power
on to his big motor at the stern. He heard a bang and the sub immediately
started to list. He blew the MBT's and made it to the surface.

The effect of the explosion was to blow the end cap off the battery pod.
Actually not completely off, a bolt still held it. All his batteries in
that pod were ruined from the shock of the explosion and the salt water
just finished them off.

To get a look at his arrangement go to the web site at:

Sources -> Kittredge -> photos -> Front View

> >Does anyone out there know any more on the capabilities of sealed AGM
> >batteries?? Either Concorde or another vendor? Concorde is not very
> responsive >to my E-mail requests.
> I've found that most of the companies respond in the above fashion. :)

Does snail mail work any better?

> I wonder if any of the group is near Colarado? Reynolds Polymer in Colarado
> is the most common supplier of acylic to those great looking subs! I haven't
> found them on the Internet yet but many sub builders have pointed me in this
> direction.

Anyone got an snail mail address?

Regards,
Ray