Sub Window (Fwd)

Hi Ken,

Welcome.

I am sending this reply to both you and the list sever discussion group as
some of those members may be able to give better advice then me.

In my college days I worked for a plastics fabricator. Being more focused
on college then on the tricks of the trade I did glean a few techniques in
plastic forming. It was also ten years ago so I may be remembering everything
wrong.

Here goes.

The ovens we used to heat plastic tended to be larger than your typical home
oven. They were flat, electrically powered, and had a fan to stir the air up.
The space was larger than the plastic to heat to allow for air circulation
and had a typical thermostate. One oven was big enough to walk in but that
one was rarely used due to the power consumption. You may be able to
build one with sheetmetal, heating elements and fire brick.

Sorry to say I don't remember the heating temperature but bubbles in the
plastic indicate the plastic got too hot. I was bending plexiglass one day
with bar heaters to form clear display shelves and a few got bubbles when
left on the heater too long.

If you can find the shape you want for your form, fine. If not then you will
have to make it. One idea is to make a positive or concave form with
cement and mesh wire. If you need it symetrical then you can cut a
piece of plywood  to the cross section shape you need and rotate it on
a center pivot over the cement and wire shape. Ascii picture:

                             center pivot bar

                     ----------|---------
                    |  form  - |-  form  |
                    |      / - |- \      |
                    |     / /  | \ \     |
                    |    / /   |  \ \    |
                     ---- |    |   | ----
			----------------		base

                          ^        ^
                          |        |
                          ---------------- cement and wire form

We lined our forms with felt. Still was always got a few scratches and marks.

You can use plaster instead of cement.

At this point you have two ways to go. You can sandwich the plastic to be
formed in a picture frame like frame. With the a frame on both sides and
over lapping the plastic and bolted together. When the plastic is heated
force it down over positive mold and let cool.

The other way is to make a negative, female, or convex mold by forming over
the positive form. Then heat the plastic and lay over the form and use
vacume to suck the plastic down into the form. The vacume is applied to
the bottom inside of the form. More compicated still is to build an air
chamber that can be clamped to the plasic and negative form and apply
compressed air to force the plastic into the form. Keep in mind that
the compressed air may cool the plastic. Ascii:

                          --------------
                          |   air      |
                          |  chamber   |
			---            ---
			------------------	plastic
 			---            ---
                          |  form      |

We lined our forms with felt. Still was always got a few scratches and marks.

If you heat the plastic hot enough to use gravity, then the plastic is
too hot and hard to control.

If you use your wife's oven again then get your own grate and line the
bottom with aluminum foil. Stir the air with a fan.

Good luck,
Ray