Re: viewports

Wow!

I like. Martin, can you make a white paper out of this one too?

> WINDOW CONSIDERATIONS
>     I contacted a local plastics company in Shreveport and asked about
> super thick acrylic sheets that I could cut a window from.  I was thinking
> of plastics that were maybe in the order of two inches thick.  The salesman
> told me about a man that lived in San Diego California that was a world
> class authorities on submersible windows.  I got his name and found his
> home number and called him.  Jerry D. Stachiw worked, and possibly still
> works for the Naval Underwater Research Center in San Diego.  Stachiw told
> me that he would answer any questions that I had that night but he wanted
> me to buy his book.  I said that I would buy it and he proceeded to answer
> some simple questions that I had.
>     I ordered a copy of "Acrylic Plastic Viewports", from Marcel Dekker,
> Inc.  Their address is as follows:
>
>      Marcel Dekker, Inc.
>      270 Madison Avenue
>      New York, NY  10016
>
> This has to be one of the most complete studies of the acrylic viewport
> ever published.  It is worth the money even though it cost $100.  I was
> amazed at the complexity of considerations that go into window design and
> at the same time the simplicity of use of the final design information that
> the book provides.

I added a reference to this book into the book sub page.

Machining and two slow heat cycles per window. No wonder it took 9 years to
build. You mentintioned that you made your own annealing oven. Did you
do your own machining?

Regards,
Ray