Re: scrubber

> >a CO2 scrubber which is nothing but a canister of Sof-no-lime (Soda lime)
> >to remove the CO2.
>
> Is there any informational guidelines available for such a device?  What
> volume of Soda Lime is necessary for a particular volume of cabin air?
> How does one determine that the Soda Lime has been exhausted?

OK...exact figures will have to wait until tomorrow when I can look in my
rebreather training materials but I would figure on 2-3 lbs of Sofnolime
for a 4 hr dive.  The amount is not dependent on cabin air volume, it's
dependent on the volume of CO2 which is a function of how many people
are in the cabin.  The absorbant changes color when it is exhausted.  It
starts out white and changes purple when it is used up.  Therefore, it
makes sense to package it in a clear canister.  I'm using a 5" diameter
clear lexan tube.  It's important to pack the absorbant tightly so as
not to get any "channeling" through it.  You want the air circulated
through it to contact the greatest surface area of the absorbant possible.
Also, figure on throwing out the absorbant at the end of the day.
The stuff isn't terribly expensive....about $2.00/lb from O. C. Lugo Co.
in Nyack, NY.

--
Alan D. Secor
e-mail: secor@btv.ibm.com