[Fwd: Re: submarines]

---- Begin included message ----
In article <33308204.56455722@news.iinet.net.au>
daveb@iinet.net.au_spam_trap (David R Brooks) wrote:

> buchner@mega-com.com (David Buchner) wrote:
>
> :I'm looking for anyone who has built or is wanting to build small (dry)
> :submersibles for some insane reason. Email is fine, responding to the list
> :is fine. Hey, a boat's a boat. What I'm wondering is how Minnesota's DNR
> :is going to want to classify it when I go to get registration stickers.
> :
> :I've got a 200 gallon stainless steel milk tank so far. It floats. If I
> :add about 950 pounds to it, it'll sink. Oh, and I have started a big
> :collection of lead wheel balancing weights and I've got an old electric
> :trolling motor.  ;-)

 "From" line rigged to foil spambots: daveb <at> iinet.net.au

Hmmm, interesting address you've got...."au_spam_trap".

By all means, your milk tank will make a great submersible.  It displaces
around 1600 pounds, so I hope your lead wheel balancing weight collection
is getting big.  Don't worry about it collapsing under the pressure.  If it
does, you won't care for very long.

I'd go for a gasoline engine, though.  More range.  Just take a tank of
compressed oxygen down (not air...you want some real combustion
inside that engine).  Don't worry about the exhaust.  You can
surface every half hour or so and 'vent the boat'.

Have you thought of torpedo tubes?

---- End included message ----