Re: Hull Thickness

Jonathan Wallace wrote:

> Does anyone have documentation on hull thickness for a given working depth?
> Also, what type of safety factor do you design into your subs?  I know that
> Cousteau works on a 3:1 safety ratio.

The American Bureau of Shipping recommends 1.5/1, and this is consistent with designs
developed elsewhere, however, this requires finite element analysis of all hull
discontinuities.  3/1 solves that if yu use rules of thumb for reinforcements.  For
example, by ABS rules you should add 1/2 the material around an opening you removed.
Since the weight of the hull increases with strength and safety factor used (obviously),
the deeper the design depth, the more bouyancy has to be added.  This is a cost penalty.

Second, the question you asked can't be answered as you asked it, since the shape,
length, and diameter of the hull is a factor.

In any case, avoiding the complex calculations of advanced texts, here's a simple
program to calculate design depth for thickness.  It came from O'Neil's work.  check
arounf his site for some ideas on a very low cost (low capability) sub.  I'd be
concerned about pitch stability, but for what it cost it's OK.

	http://www.webcom.com/sknkwrks/hullstrn.html

The site:	http://www.webcom.com/sknkwrks/submarin.html

Martin

at some