Jim

From: JimToddPsub@aol.com
To: personal_submersibles@psubs.org
Sent: 3/21/2011 2:55:36 P.M. Central Daylight Time
Subj: Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] Paint.....Cheap or Proper?

Vance and all,

One thing I don't completely understand is the need for epoxy between the primer and the upper coats of polyurethane instead of just applying more coats of poly.  Is it because you can attain greater total mil thickness with an epoxy sandwich than you can with additional coats of poly?  Is it because the hard epoxy underneath improves the impact resistance of the poly topcoats?

I've never sprayed epoxy.  When spraying polyurethane, we were always careful to keep the coats thin enough to avoid skinning over and trapping solvents within the coat.  Trapped solvents will create pinholes.  Generally we were spraying a tack coat and two or three additional coats.

Jim T.