Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] O2

Scott, I have been dealing with issues like this with gas suppliers for years. The purity issue is nonsense. The medical grade oxygen is filled from the same bulk cryo storage as the industrial stuff. The difference is that medical grade is periodically sampled and analyzed for USP specs compliance, which adds a cost overhead, and on the medical grade, the filling procedure is slightly different - vacuum is pulled, O2 is flushed at low pressure, vacuum is pulled again and then the cylinder is filled. Industrial cylinders either have one or no vacuum steps before filling. The idea is to avoid any kind of hydrocarbon contamination, but such risk is small. I have been using industrial helium and oxygen (run through my own physical and chemical filters) for years without issue. If you can do so, it will probably be cheaper. If not, just explain your situation to your GP and you can probably get a prescription. Another option to look for is so-called aviator's oxygen, which is certified to have minimal moisture content (prevents freeze-up issues), but may be cheaper than medical.

swaters@waters-ks.com wrote:

I was at my local welding and gas supply the other day and they were asking me how my sub was doing and we got on the conversation about the life support system and how it works. They told me they could not sell me medical grade oxygen with out a prescription from a doctor which I thought was kind of weird. They said I might be able to use oxygen that you use for welding, but it is not as pure. Does anyone on psubs have any ideas on what to do?

Also I had asked a question a while back about the tubing in the K-350. I have decided to go with stainless steal, but was still wondering what wall thickness to go with and how do you connect them (flair fitting, compression fitting, or something else?)

Thanks,
Scott Waters